Wakan Lodge No 1054
Youngest of the three lodges making the current lodge
November 12, 1945
No history of Wakan Lodge would be complete without first briefly outlining the early history of our mother Lodge. Fame Lodge No. 945. For a long time previous to the formation of Fame Lodge, reasons in Irondequoit were considering the establishment of a new Masonic body. No definite steps were taken, however, until 1916. Irondequoit was then a farming community and the influx of city folks had not begun. The town had a population of about five thousand and its chief industry was market gardening. Those who were instrumental in the formation of Fame Lodge were Masons who for the most part were raised in the old Rochester Masonic Temple on Clinton Ave., corner Division Street. The jurisdiction of the Rochester Lodges in 1916 covered all of the Town of Irondequoit, and in order to establish a new Lodge it was necessary to obtain the consent of all the Lodges in the Rochester jurisdiction. This consent was obtained late in 1916, and a petition for a Dispensation was drawn up and submitted to the Grand Lodge in New York City. The name adopted by the twenty six original signers of the petition was “Irondequoit Temple Lodge” and was the name that appeared on the Dispensation granted on Nov. 10, 1916. The first meeting of Irondequoit Temple Lodge U.D. was held on Nov. 21, 1916, in the Irondequoit Grange Hall on Titus Avenue. Later on, however, it developed that there was another Lodge at Dunkirk, NY having the same name. By a ruling of the Grand Lodge it was necessary to change the name, and of two names suggested, “Fame” was the one decided upon, and was the name embodied in its charter when presented on May 29th, 1917, by R∴ W∴ Richard S. Folts, District Deputy Grand Master.
Dr. Alexander Walker was chosen the first Worshipful Master, our own Daniel DeLelys the first Senior Warden, and Henry Franke Junior Warden. Lodge meetings were held in the Irondequoit Grange Hall. Under these able leaders Fame Lodge flourished, and in a short space of time grew from a Lodge of twenty six members to one of over three hundred. It was not uncommon for them to meet every week and work degrees, and on several occasions raise classes of as high as ten candidates. Under such conditions the Officers and Members of the Lodge in 1921 decided to build a Temple for their own use. The site selected was on the corner of St. Paul Boulevard and Titus Ave. West, on land owned by Henry Auer. A resolution to purchase this site was passed on March 7th, 1921, and immediately steps were taken to carry their plans into execution. Carl Ade, an Architect, was employed to prepare plans and specifications, and on March 8th, 1923, just two years later, contracts were let for the new Temple, amounting to approximately $60,000. The building was made larger than at first contemplated and when completed was found adequate to house more than one Lodge. The financial burden was also larger than at first anticipated so the idea of the formation of another Lodge in Irondequoit gained its inception.
Irondequoit was now a flourishing community; instead of a population of five thousand, it now had a population of seven thousand five hundred, and the exodus of city people to the rural districts was in full swing. Instead of being purely a farming section, Irondequoit was rapidly becoming a suburb of the City of Rochester. The idea of forming a new Lodge, therefore, was well received and no difficulties whatever were found to hinder its progress. A year, however, elapsed from the time the Past Masters of Fame Lodge suggested a new Lodge until definite steps were taken to bring this about. Early in 1925, R∴ W∴ Daniel DeLelys, Second Past Master of Fame Lodge, volunteered to carry the plan into execution, and under his able leadership a petition for a Dispensation was drawn up and presented at a meeting held at the home of Dr. Willis W. Bradstreet at Point Pleasant. The men in attendance at this first meeting were Dr. Willis Bradstreet, Arnold G. Smith, Roy J. Riedesel and R∴W∴Daniel DeLelys. These men were the real founders of our Lodge. They resolved to found a ideal Lodge with a new spirit and determination to equal the best in the land. With this in mind they set out to obtain signers of the petition, and it was but a short time before a sufficient number of signers were obtained to insure the success of the venture. Every effort was made to draw as few members from Fame Lodge as possible so as not to injure them in any-way.
On May 5, 1925, the first official meeting of the signers was held at the New Irondequoit Masonic Temple. To say that this meeting proved to be a huge success would be placing it mildly. Roy J. Riedesel was selected chairman and Daniel DeLelys secretary. Other meetings were held on May 19th, June 2nd, June 16, and June 29th, and each were well attended. The following committees were appointed: Committee on By-laws, Daniel DeLelys, Raymond H. Farmen and Oscar E. Zabel. Committee to chose Lodge name, Dr. Willis W. Bradstreet, John H. Bradley and Arnold G. Smith. Committee on Finance and Equipment, Roy J. Ridedsel, Harry S. Merriman and Otto A. Swansfeger. The Committees started to function immediately and within a short time made very comprehensive reports. The Committee on By-laws submitted a set of By-laws which were adopted with but little discussion. The Committee on Lodge Name submitted the following three names: Koda, Teyo and Wakan, all of which were Indian names. The name “Wakan” an Indian word of the Iroquois Tribe, meaning “sacred” was the one finally chosen. Fees and dues were approved as follows: Initiation $100.00, Affiliation $20.00, Annual Dues $8.00, $2.00 of which to be set aside and accounted in a Per Capita Fund, and with which to meet Per Capita request by the Grand Lodge, and for the purpose of relief. The group of petitioners also decided that the Charter Membership Fee should be $10.00, and should be limited to about thirty members. The charter members were to be credited on life membership with their prior uninterrupted membership in their mother Lodge.
The Committee on Finance and Equipment were unusually fortunate in the receipt of donations from the charter members as well as from friends who were vitally interested in the success of the new Lodge. The following articles were donated:
Stars and Stripes Arnold G. Smith
Officers’ Jewels Roy J. Riedesel, Harry Merriman, Otto A. Swansfeger
Officers’ Apron George B. Hunt
Gavels Otto A. Swansfeger
Ballot Box John F. Muxworthy
Working Tools George G. Schelter
Great Light in Masonry Fellowcraft Club of Fame Lodge No. 945
Senior Deacon’s Tools Edgar L. Gould
Baton, Tiler’s Sword and Sprig of Acacia James B. Pierce
Setting Maul, Gavel, Trowel for funerals, Hoodwinks and 6 Staffs Edward S. Warriner
Square and Compass for Bible Harold R. Davis
One Set of Small Squares and Compasses George A. Butler
24″ Rule, Plumb, Square and Level B. LeRoy Findlay
Twenty five Dollars George W. Long, Jr.
On the evening of May 19, 1925, the first Officers were chosen. Each was chosen by ballot, Wro. Brother John F. Muxworthy, Master of Fame Lodge, acted as Chairman, and Bros. William Hamann and Joseph Petz, both members of Fame Lodge, acted as Tellers. For the Office of Wor. Master, two names were proposed – R∴ W∴ Daniel Delelys and Bro. Roy Riedesel. Bro. Riedesel withdrew his name, however, and Bro. Daniel DeLelys was unanimously elected to be the first Master. The other Officers chosen were the following:
Roy J. Riedesel Senior Warden
Raymond H. Farmen Junior Warden
Dr. Willis W. Bradstreet Treasurer
Oscar E. Zabel Secretary
Harry S.. Meriman Senior Deacon
Arnold G. Smith Junior Deacon
Fred 0. Buchan Senior Master of Ceremony
Otto A. Swansfeger Junior Master of Ceremony
Andrew S. Hamilton Senior Steward
George W. Long, Jr. Junior Steward
Edward Weyh Marshal
All during these early meetings there were two men who were vitally interested in the formation of the new Lodge. One was Bro. Thomas Clifford of Fame Lodge No. 945, and the other Bro. Thomas Merrill of Genesee Falls Lodge No. 507. Bro. Clifford was appointed as Chaplain and Bro. Merrill as Tiler. The fact that Bro. Merrill was a life member of Genesee Falls Lodge was the only reason he did not join with us. He, however, gladly consented to be the Tiler.
On June 23, 1925, the Officers qualified before Fame Lodge, and on August 10th, the petition for Dispensation was forwarded to the Grand Lodge. The original petition had thirty five signers, but before being submitted to the Grand Lodge, two of the signers withdrew their names. The following names appeared on the petition and eventually became the charter members of Wakan:
Harry J. Althoff
Dr. Samuel W. Bradstreet
Leland C. Benton
Dr. Willis W. Bradstreet
Fred 0. Buchan
George A. Butler
Ralph A. Cobb
Chas. W. Curtis
Harold R. Davis
George W. Farmen
Raymond H. Farmen
B. LeRoy Findlay
Edgar L. Gould
Andrew S. Hamilton
Arthur L. Hart
Edward W. Howe
George W. Long, Jr.
Harry S. Merriman
William G. Martin
Ruden W. Post
Preston V. Pratt
Roy J. Riedesel
William P. Riley
Arnold G. Smith
Frank E. Swansfeger
Otto A. Swansfeger
Edward 6. Warriner
Oscar E. Zabel
Dr. John F. Zabel
On August 8, 1925, a picnic was held at Dr. Willis W. Bradstreet’s cottage at Canandaigua Lake. Nearly one hundred were in attendance. Autos assembled at the Irondequoit Temple at 10:00 PM and drove to the cottage, some forty miles from Rochester to spend a very enjoyable day. Bros. Hamilton, Gould, Otto Swansfeger, Smith, O.E. Zabel, R. H. Farmen and Riedesel composed the committee in charge.
No word was received regarding the Dispensation until November. The Grand Secretary happened to be in Europe at that time and the Grand Master M\ W\ A. Rowan held up the petition until the Secretary returned. Upon his return, however, the petition was granted and on Nov. 9, 1925, R\ W\ .Bros. John C. Malloch, District Deputy Grand Master of the Second District of Monroe formally presented the Dispensation. The Lodge functioned under Dispensation until April 15, 1926, when the Dispensation was surrendered to Grand Lodge with an application for a Charter.
Before going any further it is quite essential that we relate the Historic events which took place while under Dispensation. Few Lodges can boast of greater achievements. The following briefly states the most important events during this period:
Institution of Wakan Lodge, Nov. 9, 1925
lst Petition for Initiation received, Alexander Joseph Merkel, Nov . 23, 1925
2nd Petition for initiation received, Elmer H. Dake, Dec. 14, 1925
1st Petition for Affiliation, Bro. Thomas Clifford
lst Annual Dance, Thanksgiving Eve., Nov. 26, 1925
lst Degree Conferred, Dec. 28, 1925, on Alexander J. Merkel
Fame Lodge Fellowcraft Club amended By-laws including Wakan Lodge members also, and changed name to Fame- Wakan Fellowcraft Club, Jan. 11, 1926
2nd Degree conferred on Alexander J. Merkel, Jan. 25, 1926.
lst Annual Banquet and Dance, Hotel Seneca, Rochester, Jan. 29, 1926
Exemplification of First Degree at the Monroe District Convention, Feb. 10, 1926.
St. Patrick’s Day Dance, March 17, 1926
3rd Degree conferred on Bro. Alexander J. Merkel and Harry Paul Ruske, April 12, 1926
The outstanding event while under Dispensation was the exemplification of the lst Degree at the Monroe District Convention, Feb. 10, 1926. No words can adequately express the wonderful work done by all the line Officers on this occasion. The work was letter perfect, and was a tribute to R\ W\ Daniel DeLelys, our First Master, a tribute which but few have ever received. His heart and soul was in the work and his enthusiasm was so contagious it spread to all the other line Officers. At rehearsals previous to the Convention, the work was gone over and over with R\ W\ Daniel DeLelys as the instructor. his knowledge of the ritual was uncanny for he knew it from beginning to end.
The Grand Lecturer, Horace W. Smith, who was present at the Convention, was so impressed with the work that he ventured the following statement: “The work here this afternoon has been a revelation to me, and if the rest of the men in your jurisdiction can put on the other degrees as Wakan Lodge, U.D. Monroe District will stand at the head of the list in the entire State of New York. During the past fifteen years that I have been Grand Lecturer I have never heard the lst Degree exemplified any better by a Lodge under Dispensation or a Lodge under Charter than it was today.” Seldom indeed does it befall a new Lodge to be so highly complimented. All the ritualistic work was carried on in this manner, and for a long time thereafter the term “In a Wakan Manner” became a by-word.
On Thanksgiving Eve, Nov. 26, 1926, the first Annual Dance was held. In order to get a better idea of the spirit and enthusiasm prevalent at that time, I will relate briefly how rapidly tickets were sold. The capacity of the dance hall at the Masonic Temple was approximately one hundred and twenty five couples and that was the limit set when the tickets were issued. At the first meeting at which an accurate report on the ticket sale was made, one hundred and seventy five tickets had been sold and it was necessary to immediately stop any further sale, in fact about ten couples were refunded their money. On the evening of the dance one hundred and sixty five couples crowded into the Ball Room.
The Charter Constituting Wakan Lodge was granted in May, 1926, and was presented to R\ W\ Daniel DeLelys by M\ W\ S. Nelson Sawyer, Past Grand Master of Masons in the State of New York on June 23, 1926. He was ably assisted by nine other Grand Lodge Officers.
The following Officers were installed that evening:
Daniel DeLelys Master
Roy J. Riedesel Senior Warden
Raymond H. Farmen Junior Warden
Thomas Clifford Chaplain
Willis W. Bradstreet Treasurer
Oscar E. Zabel Secretary
Harry S. Merriman Senior Deacon
Arnold G. Smith Junior Deacon
Fred O. Buchan Senior Master of Ceremony
Otto A. Swansfeger Junior Master of Ceremony
Edgar L. Gould Steward
Charles W. Curtis Steward
Charles Himmler Marshal
Thomas Merrill Tiler
An elaborate printed program was prepared for the occasion and the Lodge Room was decorated with floor lamps, oriental rugs and flower’s. Approximately two hundred and fifty people were present, making it necessary for some to stand in the rear of the Lodge Room. For a period of about five years following the receipt of the Charter, the enthusiasm prevalent at the Institution of the Lodge continued unabated. Lodge meetings were well attended and the ritualistic work was carried on the same high level of perfection. It was during this period that members often referred to doing things in a “Wakan Manner”. The Officers were highly complimented for their work and it was a real pleasure to sit in Lodge and see and hear the work done with such perfection. Toward the end of the depression, 1929 to 1933, it became apparent, however, that a change had taken place in the Lodge and ritualistic work. A large number of the members found themselves in financial difficulties and this without a doubt was a major factor in the loss of interest and enthusiasm so prevalent in Wakan at its inception. By and large, however, our older members weathered the storm and for the most part are still carried on our rolls.
The first candidates after the receipt of the Charter were none other than H. Walter Hughes, llth Master of Wakan Lodge and Edward M. Banker. The lst Petition for Affiliation, strangely enough, was received from Clifford L. Johnson, who eventually became the 9th Master of the Lodge.
Code of Arms
At this point it might be well to mention by whom and how the Wakan Code of Arms was originated. The original idea was presented by Arnold G. Smith. He submitted a rough sketch on the back of a dance ticket and from this sketch, Bro. O. E. Zabel developed the present design. The only change made was to substitute a Grand Lodge Apron instead of a plain Masonic Apron as shown in Bro. Arnold’s original sketch. This Code of Arms has now been in use for nearly twenty years.
In July 1926, the Second Annual Picnic was held at Doc. Bradstreet’s cottage on Canandaigua Lake. Each year thereafter, until 1937, picnics were held at various places, such as, Mendon Park, Hamlin Beach Park, Brady’s Point (now part of Durand Eastman Park) and Ellison Park. These picnics usually were well attended and everyone had a good time. In 1938, however, it was decided to hold a clambake in place of the picnic and since then the clambake has become an annual affair.
One of the most useful gifts to the Lodge was made in 1926 by Bro. Edward S. Warriner. At the time but little note was made of the gift, a large leather brief case, which was to serve such a useful purpose. At each meeting you could see Bro.B. LeRoy Findlay, and the secretaries proceeding him, lugging the case in and out of the Lodge Room. It was used until 1943 when it virtually fell to pieces.
Early Social Events
In the early history of Wakan a large number of dances were held, some of which became annual affairs. These continued until about 1931 when the depression cut down the attendance to such an extent that they could no longer be run at a profit. Dances were usually held on New Year’s Eve, St. Patrick’s Day and Thanksgiving Eve. To give you some idea of the profit made the outstanding examples are listed below:
lst Birthday PartyNov. 24, 1926 $84.77
St. Patrick’s DanceMar. 17, 1927 $176.87
2nd Thanksgiving Eve DanceNov. 1927 $200.00
St. Patrick’s DanceMar. 17 1928 $146.70
St. Patrick’s Dance and CarnivalMar. 17, 1929 $1,257.88
The Seventy Seven Club was organized along about 1926 in order to provide funds for carrying on the work of the Lodge. It was composed of Lodge members and in the early years of our history was actively connected with all Lodge activities. Meetings were held at the homes of various Lodge members and all plans were laid for social functions, such as, dances, carnivals card partys, smokers, clambakes, tall cedars, etc. From 1926 to April 20, 1930, this organization turned over to the Lodge, according to a report submitted by F. 0. Buchan, $1,954.97. Since that time, a large number of dances, smokers, and card partys have been sponsored by the club. The profits made, however, have not equaled those made when the club was first organized. Meetings gradually became infrequent and now to all intents and purposes the 70-7 Club has ceased to exist.
From 1926 to 1932, Public Installations of Officers were held. On each occasion the Lodge rooms were beautifully decorated with flowers and oriental rugs covered the floors. Printed programs and invitations were prepared and sent by Lodge members to their friends and neighbors. Part of the meeting was tiled, but the Installation and other proceedings were public. Due to the fact that some of the Lodges in the metropolitan District of New York took too many liberties, by ruling of Grand Lodge in 1932, Public Installation were forbidden.
One of the outstanding social events when Wakan was first organized and up until about 1931 was the Annual Banquet and Dance. The first one was held at Hotel 6eneca and the others at the Irondequoit Temple. Each year these parties showed a small deficit. At first they were well attended but as the interest fell off they were finally abandoned.
In 1930 Bro.0.E. Zabel suggested that photographs be taken of all the living Charter Members and assemble them in a frame which could be hung up in the Lodge Anti Room. Bro.O.E. Zabel was immediately appointed chairman of a committee to secure these photographs. After much trial and tribulation, writing letters to relatives located as far west as California, he was able to secure pictures of each member. This collection of Photographs was eventually presented to the Lodge by R\ W\ Daniel DeLelys on June 8, 1931 at our 5th Anniversary and is still on display in the Lodge Anti Room. Of the original 33 members 16 are still active in the work.
Carnivals & Smokers
In the early years of Wakan Lodge we were always striving to raise money. Our Obligations were large and the demands of the Irondequoit Temple Corp. never could be satisfied. The Lodge membership never rose much above one hundred and to augment our income it was necessary to run a series of carnivals and smokers. The lst Carnival was held in 1929 showing a profit of more than twelve hundred dollars. In 1930 a combined carnival run under the auspices of Fame Lodge, Wakan Lodge and the Irondequoit Chapter of the Eastern 6tar, netted a profit of $3,541.91, which was equally divided among the three bodies. The last carnival was held in 1935 just as we were emerging from the worst depression in our history. The profits in this case were in the neighborhood of one thousand dollars. The smokers held at various times were well attended but due to the size of the Ball Room the profits never approached them made at the Carnivals.
Just in passing it might be well to mention some of the side lights incidental in the life of a Masonic Lodge.
Few, if any, recall the orthophonic victrola purchased in 1928 which was used for quite a number of years in our Degree work. It was located in the balcony and suitable records were played by the Director of Music. John Perry Jackson and Wallace R. Macaulay, two of the most active past masters, were elected to membership June 24, 1928. In 1929 our rent amounted to $4800.
The first Educational Program was started in 1929 General Theme, “History of Masonry.
As a result of gas shortage in Jan. 1943, resolution was presented to hold communications monthly. Pleasure driving was banned and all who lived at a distance had to come by bus. Resolution was laid on table.
The foregoing briefly relates some of the highlights during the first twenty years of Wakan. No attempt was made to cover everything that transpired as a good many of the events are covered in detail in the Minutes. I have, however, tried to relate some of the things which are not recorded and which in a short time will be forgotten. No mention was made of the trials and tribulations of the Irondequoit Masonic Temple Corp. as this in itself would take up the equivalent time which was devoted to the History of Wakan.
W∴ O. E. Zabel
January 25, 1988
To continue with the history of Wakan Lodge written by W\ Oscar E. Zabel, it is necessary to change the format because of the change in Lodge activities reflected by the daily life style changes, changes which are too numerous to mention but were experienced by all the brothers.
To add interest in Wakan Lodge activities the Fellowcraft Team was completely reorganized in 1945 and updated in 1951. Officers were elected, separate meeting dates from regular Lodge dates were set, and the meetings were held outside of the Masonic Temple. They were usually dinner meetings and a speaker or some program was presented. They even had a publication, “The Fellowcrafter”, that told the members of the activities scheduled. The Club has continued to the present time but not to the extent as in the early days of reorganization. The Club still confers the second section of the 3° and has a summer picnic. Several times the second section of the 3° was conferred in other Lodges, both in and outside of Monroe County. The summer picnics started at R\ W\ Charles Thompson’s cottage, but several times were also held at W\ Robert Zollweg’s cottage on Honeoye Lake.
The Problem of having a suitable meeting place at a reasonable rent was met in 1952 by moving from the Masonic Temple at the corner of St. Paul Blvd. and Titus Avenue to the Grange Hall on Titus Avenue. In 1964 the Grange Hall was sold and we had about thirty days to find another meeting place. Fortunately, Fame Lodge No. 945 had purchased the building on Culver Road and they said that they could rent us the room but on a different meeting night. We agreed to move in with Fame Lodge and met on the second and fourth Wednesdays. Beginning in 1966, we were able to return to the second and fourth Monday meeting nights.
During the first several years at the Fame Masonic Temple, the main floor and basement arrangements were not the best. We had to enter the building by the door on the south side of the building and go to the basement, then up a stairway to the main floor; the present stairs and entrance were added later. The main floor had a very high church ceiling and was rather cool in the winter months. Wakan Lodge helped Fame Lodge in several construction and financial projects. We built the platforms in the East, West, South and North. We also helped pay for the original carpet and contributed to the installation of the air conditioning equipment.
One of the projects of Grand Masters for every Lodge is to sponsor some community activity. In 1948 the Lodge sponsored a Boy Scout Troop, Troop No. 83, which met in the Washington Street Firehouse, Brother Bert Lewis and W\ Harrison I. Grotzinger were committee members. The scouts demonstrated their projects several times for the Lodge. It appears, however, that this did not continue after 1949.
The several activities of the Lodge where the public could take part were Ladies Night held at the Lodge Hall after a short business meeting, dinner dances at country clubs and party houses, clam bakes held at the Lodge Hall to raise money for the Lodge, Christmas parties for the children, and family picnics. The participation varied year to year but all were successful. In 1984 Wakan Lodge and Coronation Lodge in Weston, Ontario, Canada exchanged fraternal relations with their ladies in attendance. This has continued to the present time.
Bylaws changes were made several times to help senior Masons in their dues payments. In 1955 the dues of members who were 65 years old and had been a Mason 25 years were reduced two-thirds the regular rate. This reduction was changed in 1971 to one-half. However, in 1982 a modification was made stating that brothers meeting the 65 years age and 25 years a Mason must also have been a member of Wakan Lodge for a minimum of 10 years. Other changes were to eliminate the meeting days on the fourth Monday of May, June, and December. Attendance in late June was usually very poor and the fourth Monday in May and December were close or on a National Holiday. In 1957 the meeting time was also changed from 8:00 P.M. to 7:30 P.M.
Many other topics of interest have occurred since the last written history in 1945.
In 1953 dues were discounted $2.00 for several years if paid by June 1 (later July 1) of that year. This was later discontinued, mainly because of misunderstandings regarding the discount.
The first past Master apron given to a Past Plaster was presented on behalf of the officers of the Lodge. The Lodge did not purchase it; the officers donated the apron. However, in 1978 the Past Master apron was purchased and presented on behalf of the Lodge.
In the later 1970’s and early 1980’s it was necessary to elect and/or appoint line officers during the year as officers dropped out of line.
The 50th anniversary of the founding of the Lodge was celebrated at the Thunder Ridge Country Club on May 29, 1976 with 127 people in attendance.
Several Grand Masters attended stated meetings of the Lodge. M\ W\ Clarence J. Henry presented a 50 year pin to Brother George Long in 1965 and M\ W\ Ernest Leonardi and M∴W∴Calvin R. Bond received donations to the Brotherhood Fund in the 1980’s, The Grand Lodge of the State of New York made the following appointments since 1945:
R∴W∴Wallace R. Macaulay DDGM- 1951
R∴W∴Charles W. Thompson Grand Director of Ceremonies – 1956
R∴W∴Robert P. Zabel DDGM – 1967
R∴W∴Robert K. Orne Grand Sword Bearer – 1975
R∴W∴Joseph Savage Grand Director of Ceremonies – 1980
R∴W∴Fred Nielsen Grand Representative Queensland, Australia- 1981
R∴W∴Robert C. Pettit DDGM – 1982
R∴W∴A. John Tijou Grand Representative Brazil – 1984
The Dedicated Service Award has been give to:
W∴Joseph J. Dimino – 1975
Roy E. Connolly – 1980
W∴John J. Rees -1984
W∴Frank P. Denton – 1985
The following brothers have been crowned Honorary Members of The Northern Masonic Jurisdiction Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite of the Unites States of America:
R∴W∴Roy J. Riedesel, 33° 1951
R∴W∴John P. Jackson, 33° 1955
R∴W∴Robert P. Zabel, 33° 1962
R∴W∴Robert K. Orne, 33° 1971
R∴W∴Joseph Savage, 33° 1972
R∴W∴Fred Nielson, 33° 1973
R∴W∴Robert C. Pettit, 33° 1979
In addition to the Father and Son who became Masters of Wakan Lodge as reported in the 1945 history, there are also W∴O.E. Zabel and R∴W∴Robert P. Zabel.
Brothers who served as secretaries since 1945 are:
W∴Edgar F. Malleck 1945-1947
William G. Spicer 1948-1951
Rutherford Paget 1952-1955, 1958-1959
W∴Harrison I. Grotzinger 1956-1957
W∴Eric H. Lewis 1960-1966
R∴W∴A..John Tijou 1967-1970, 1977-1979
R∴W∴Robert C. Pettit 1971-1976
W∴Edmund K. Lange 1977
W∴Frank P. Denton 1980
Brothers who served as Assistant Grand Lecturers are:
R∴ W∴Robert P. Zabel
R∴W∴Robert K Orne
R∴W∴Robert C. Pettit
R∴ W∴A. John Tijou
It is also interesting to note that in 1945, the membership was 109. In 1955 it was 217 and reached a maximum of 268 in 1964. In 1975 it had dropped to 240 and at the time of the merger with Warren C. Hubbard Lodge it was still about 240 members.
In the 1945 history the Lodge names considered by a committee were mentioned, and it was stated that the name “Wakan” was an Indian word of the Iroquois Tribe, meaning sacred. At the installation ceremony in January, 1960, W\ Oscar E. Zabel said that in 1952 Bro. A. C. Parker, a full blooded Indian, gave a talk on “Masonry among the Indians” and gave the true origin of the word “wakan” with its correct pronunciation and meaning. The word comes from a Sioux indian expression “takoo-wakan” meaning “Behold the sacred mystery”. The word is pronounced wau-kan and means “mystery”.
The following brothers served as Master of Wakan Lodge:
R∴W∴Daniel DeLelys 1925,1926
W∴Wilford H. Crayton 1956
R∴W∴Roy J. Riedesel 1927
W∴M. Donald Darrohn 1957
W∴Raymond H. Farmen 1928
W∴Roger B. Edwards 1958
W∴Harry S. Merriman 1929
W∴George W. Lynch 1959
W∴Fred O. Buchan 1930
R∴W∴Robert P. Zabel 1960
W∴Edgar L. Gould 1931
R∴W∴Robert K. Orne 1961
W∴Oscar E. Zabel 1932
W∴David C. Graham 1962
R∴W∴George A. Butler 1933
W∴Charles H. Farrell 1963
W∴Clifford L. Johnson 1934
R∴W∴Fred Nielsen 1964
W∴Thomas Clifford 1935
W∴Erwin H. Keiser 1965
W∴H. Walter Hughes 1936
W∴Vernon E.Bishop 1966
W∴G. Theodore Gunkler 1937
W∴ Eugene H. Waddington 1967
R∴W∴John P. Jackson 1938
W∴Edmund K. Lange 1968
W∴George W. Buchan 1939
R∴W∴Robert C. Pettit 1969
R∴W∴Wallace R. Macaulay 1940
W∴Joseph J. Dimino D.S.A. 1970
W∴Leon P. Morey 1941
W∴Glenn R. Goodno 1971
W∴Harold B. McElwain 1942
W∴ Henry M. Kascher 1972
W∴A. Ried Vorhees 1943
W∴Robert F. Zollweg 1973
W∴Edgar F. Malleck 1944
R∴W∴A. John Tijou 1974
W∴Eric H. Lewis D.S.A. 1945
W∴John J. Rees D.S.A. 1975
W∴Herbert Sweemer 1946
W∴Frank P. Denton D.S.A. 1976
W∴Frederick L. Yackel 1947
W∴Eugene M. Brown 1977
W∴Walter L. Hoffman 1948
W∴Donald J. Brugger 1978
W∴Clarence W. Grey 1949
W∴John Lawrence 1979
W∴John J. Pittman 1950
W∴J. Webb L. Sheehy 1980
W∴Phillip A.Payne 1951
W∴Leonard L. DuBois 1981
W∴Harrison I. Grotzinger 1952
W∴ Derek Wiseman 1982
W∴ Henry G. Drury 1953
W∴ Michael Adamus, Jr. 1983
R∴ W∴ Charles V. Thompson 1954
W∴ Robert I. Nichols 1984
W∴ Henry R. Parsons 1955
W∴ Larry S. Beikirch 1985
In 1985 Wakan Lodge No. 1054 and Warren C. Hubbard Lodge No. 964 united and became Wakan-Hubbard Lodge, No. 1054.
This is a brief summary of the history of Wakan Lodge No. 1054 up to the time we became Wakan-Hubbard Lodge No. 1054. Complete details of all events are covered in the minutes of the meetings.
R∴ W∴ Robert P. Zabel